The existing Susquehanna River Rail Bridge was constructed in 1906 by the Pennsylvania Railroad and is located in Havre de Grace and Perryville, Maryland. The bridge is eligible for listing on the State and National Registers of Historic Places. The multi-span truss bridge was built to replace an original 1860s parallel structure to the south. The piers of the original 1860s bridge can still be seen above the water line in the Susquehanna River. Electrified rail service on the 4,154-foot-long bridge began in the 1930s when an overhead catenary system was installed on the bridge. The double-tracked bridge was conveyed by Congress to Amtrak in 1976 along with other Northeast Corridor (NEC) infrastructure elements. Major rehabilitations and repairs occurred during the 1960s, 1985, 1991, and 1998. These efforts included: corroded steel bridge floor members replacement; steel plates additions to stiffen loose connections; crack repairs; timber deck replacement; and maintaining and enhancing safety access ways and railings. The Susquehanna River Rail Bridge undergoes regular safety inspections and received comprehensive, in-depth specialty inspections in 2013 and 2014. The results of the inspections indicate the bridge is structurally safe, though the existing bridge is nearing the end of its useful life.